Sunday, February 8, 2015

Odd Volumes - Brian Dettmer TED Talk

Talk about timing! An email from TED arrived in my inbox yesterday announcing new talks to view. Scrolling down, one caught my eye.

The Volume Library, 2010
found and cut illustrated encyclopedia with glue
 
It's of a book that has been cut into to expose layers and parts from pages beneath the front. Brian Dettmer has given a TED Talk about his process. If I've linked correctly, you can just click on highlighted words to hop over to TED and watch.

1 comment:

  1. The librarian in me loves this: a reference book that might otherwise sit unopened or worse, be recycled into pulp, instead becomes a window into its genre ... leading readers to explore dictionaries and encyclopedias that are still whole.

    The creative side of me wanted to see more about the process, of course ... how does he stabilize the pages as he cuts down, for instance?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...