Monday, March 19, 2012

Philadelphia - Barbara Lee Smith

The last FiberPhiladelphia exhibition I viewed was A Sense of Place, curated by Bruce Hoffman. Yesterday's post contained work that sparked an emotional response in me so I thought to share them with you. The work that had me riveted in place was that of Barbara Lee Smith.

After strolling through the two large rooms that housed the rest of the exhibit, I stepped into a smaller room and found myself in a different place.

 Barbara Lee Smith, Marshland/Twilight, 2010
painted, collaged and stitched textile

Marshland/Twilight detail

I was in a place where the breeze rustling the leaves of marsh plants could be heard as could the tinkling of water caressing the shore.

 Barbara Lee Smith, The River, 2010
painted, collaged and stitched textile

The River detail

A place where shore birds called to each other as they played on the air currents.

 Barbara Lee Smith, Whitecaps, 2011
painted, collaged and stitched textile

 Whitecaps detail

A place where spray from the whitecaps turned everything just a bit damp as it was crashed and churned in the tide and was carried along on the wind to land on your skin. A place where the air smelled of salt and freshness...purity at its best.

 Barbara Lee Smith, You Are Here, 2010-11
painted, collaged and stitched textile

  You Are Here detail 1

 You Are Here detail 2

You Are Here detail 3

I was there. I stood in the middle of the room and drank it all in. Not a soul approached while I stood there listening to the birds calling, feeling the breeze on my face and in my hair, tasting the spray on my lips, hearing the rustle of the leaves and the movement of the water, being at peace. Yes. I was there. 

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Barbara's work is indeed stunning. I fell in love with it back in...hmmm...2000 or 2002 when friends and I ventured to Philly for our first Snyderman Gallery Fiber Biennial. If you ever get the chance to see it in person, do so...and let me know if you feel the breeze and spray and hear the birds, wind and water. Enjoy!

      Delete
  2. Looks like the perfect place to end your Fiber Philadelphia tour...thanks for being such a great tour guide and for bringing us along for the ride. Planning for 2014!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the perfect ending to a perfect weekend. I started to film Barbara's room to send to you, but got caught up in the moment and forgot. Ooops! Here's to 2014!!!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...