Occasionally, the neighboring dog would come to visit and end up knocking the cairn over. Each time, I re-stacked the pieces and renewed my vow to leave it out for at least a year so Mother Nature could work her magic with the cotton and rust.
Today the cairn became visible again for the first time since December 26...when our winter of snow began.
It is a mystery just what caused the cairn to topple again. I don't remember it being on the ground before the snow began, but my memory is not quite what it once was and we really did have a lot of snow this year.
I must admit to being very curious to see what the rust looks like once the cotton is opened up. So, the big question is whether to wait until April to do so or is March close enough to it being a year?