Sunday, May 28, 2017

Santa Fe Retreat 2017 - Madrid

Yesterday, Belinda, the owner of Radiant Light Art Studio, invited Pam and I to join her for lunch at a little restaurant in Madrid (pronounced Mad-rid) which is an old gold mining town turned art/food haven.


We dined at The Hollar, which is a funky dive of a restaurant with eclectic art gracing the outside and old photos of (what I assume is) the town during its gold mining days. Don't let The Hollar's exterior fool you - the food, which is Southern food with elegance, is amazing. And this is real Southern food - fried green tomatoes and the best crispy shrimp and grits that I've ever had.

 quilt on display in The Hollar

As yesterday was still very windy, we opted to eat inside. Those dining outside were treated to Madrid's own Cactus Slim and the Goat Heads. Their Facebook page lists the group's genre as Eastmountain boogie rock. Smooth voiced, songs reminiscent of the old rock standards, it would be fun to sit and listen for a while.


As we set off to stroll through town, we pondered the shoes hanging from the electrical line over main street.


And then the mailboxes caught my eye




 as did the thriving cacti,



murals,


fun signs


and the zebra on the roof.

8 comments:

  1. Love,love,love your post. Wish I could be there!!!!!! Send more pics, very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Millis! If you ever get the chance to visit the Santa Fe area, I highly recommend it...with a side trip to Madrid, of course. Plan on spending a full day going in all the shops. Enjoy!

      Delete
  2. Madrid is a wonder and I have fond memories of lunch at The Hollar when we went to New Mexico back in 2014. This post makes me yearn to go back ... someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Madrid was a surprise. I found myself wishing for more time to wander and take photos, visit all the shops and just sit and people watch. Another time.

      Delete
  3. Hi there...it's been so long since I've heard from you! Looking forward to seeing all the art that you and Pam will be making over the week. Congrats on the teaching gig--sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! It has been far too long. Hopefully, this will get me back in the habit of blogging again. I have missed the connections.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...