Thursday found Pam and I making a few marks - my tiny X's
were added to Pam's splatters (highly technical, that) and O's.
While Pam stitched a page from painted cotton,
I took the sheets of Rives BFK
and cut them into 5 inch strips
for use as pages in our journals.
6 sheets in all were cropped and piled together, shuffled and reshuffled to mix them well.
Pam began ritual of picking
and did a little happy dance when she selected the apex of the wave I'd painted.
18 pages each - Pam's above, mine below.
As we pondered the possibilities and considered which pages would go with which cover,
we turned to view the tags, all 95 of them.
They soon found their way into a bin and were jostled this way and that
so that we could blindly reach in to select one at a time. There were smiles and happy dances (me) and exclamations of delight (Pam) at having selected a favorite.
My group above. Pam's below. It's funny to look at the photos now and realize the tags were already sort of laid out as they ended up being turned into books.
I sewed the tops and bottoms together
to create a very long accordion book
while Pam stitched the sides.
and stunning in their display, this approach is my favorite.
In between constructing journals (5 each so far), we'd walk into the annex to mark other papers.
I've fallen in love with printmaking paper - with their ability to soak up color and display it so vividly. The tan sections above and below were achieved with black tea. Just black tea.
Oh yes! The ideas are flowing and I can't wait to discover how well rust plays with some of the papers we've used this week. Those experiments will wait until my return to Connecticut.
One last view before calling it a night...Pam's journals.