Saturday, March 10, 2012

Philadelphia - Philagrafika: Doing Time/Depth of Surface

Before wending my way to the Crane Arts Building yesterday, I strolled over to Moore College of Art and Design to view the 4 featured fiber exhibits. All were good, but it was Philagrafika: Doing Time/Depth of Surface that interested me most.

screen capture from Philagrafika web site

As a fiber artist and sometimes printmaker, the "skin of architecture" print achieved in this process held me mesmerized with it's textures, layers, colors and most of all, it's history. The pictures below are mine...and my attempt to capture and convey all that I felt while viewing this magnificent piece.







4 comments:

  1. Powerful work. Reminds me of Mark Bradford.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not familiar with Mark Bradford, but I'll definitely look him up. Thanks for the tip!

      Delete
  2. oh i am so glad i came over for a visit today and found this work. THANK YOU so much. this is really fine, powerful and i love how you showed it to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to photograph this piece well, but still feel like I failed to do it justice. The process used to remove layers of paint, time, history off the prison walls is so fascinating to me that it baffles the mind that such a thing is possible.

      I kept looking for something that gave the length of fabric used, but never located it. There are yards and yards spread across the floor, all printed from the prison walls. It's, well, magnificent.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...