Mother Nature graced us with a week of perfect spring weather last week. You know what I mean - cool nights made for sleeping with the windows open, warm days filled with bright blue skies and gentle breezes carrying the scent of newly bloomed flowers. Ahhhh....it was splendid. It was also great weather for working outside.
Inspired by all the discharged pieces hanging on the line, I intended to work on another large piece of black cotton. This time, the plan was to discharge with a bleach pen as well as by immersion in bleach. Combine free form and control. Ha! Seems the cosmos had other ideas for how my time should be spent and nothing seemed to go as planned. Really. It was one of those weeks.
So it came as a great surprise to me this morning while photographing more rusted cotton, to realize that I actually had managed to work on a few things last week after all. And not all of them involved putting stuff in a baggie and forgetting about it.
On Friday, I played with discharging and bees wax.
And this morning, I opened bags of rusting cotton.
The first two rusted pieces really are different pieces. #2 was rusted in 2 days by dipping the fabric in vinegar first. #1 was vinegar-less. #3 was wrapped around a plumb bob. #4 is the one from yesterday's post that got rained on. Night time worked it's magic and produced way more rust than was there when I went to bed. All in all, not a bad week's work.