Saturday, January 15, 2011

It's 2011 already

 Yikes! It's hard to believe that it's been two months since my last post. Time has alternately flown and dragged by, the holidays have been celebrated and we've even seen a new year in.

My absence from the art blogging world was not one of choice, but one of necessity. Since Thanksgiving I've been under the weather. Nothing serious, but enough to knock me out of commission for awhile. I'm blaming it on the fact that we have little ones - twin girls who will soon be 4 years old - who carry all their preschool germs home to me. While I love that they want to bring me things, preschool germs and viruses are something I can do without.

On to the real reason for this post. Since my last entry was about my trip to Philadelphia for the Philadelphia Museum of Art Craft Show, I thought I'd show you what I bought there.


I am now the proud owner of a Tricia Adler shoulder bag. Tricia's artist statement listed on the PMA Craft Show site says it best:



Recycled inner tubes from tractors, trucks, motorcycles and bicycles all have a place in my current work - designing handbags. The design process is intoxicating. As sections of cut and scrubbed inner tubes are manipulated one-of-a-kind handbags begin to materialize. The development of each new bag is informed by a spontaneous cut of the inner tube. Machine sewing, hand sewing, riveting, grommet setting and bolting are all construction methods employed. When applicable, surface design may consist of found objects, expired license plates and/or oil pigment. I delight in re-purposing materials usually destined for a landfill.


As someone who has been frequenting art shows for over 30 years and especially as an artist who did art shows until recently - was in the 2007 PMA Craft Show even - I'm very familiar with a lot of the work exhibited and tend to search out work not previously seen. The sheer graphic quality of Tricia's handbags held me spellbound. Several were calling my name and one finally came home with me.

Now, I must admit that the bag shown here is not the one originally purchased. That bag, her kangaroo bag, was one of the coolest ever. However, the opening proved too small for everyday use and I wanted to carry that bag every day. I found myself doing something I have never done - calling the artist and asking to exchange something.

Tricia was very gracious and agreed to make another bag for me. She'd sold out at the show! We discussed how the bag would be used - shoulder and cross body - and that fact that I love text. A couple weeks later the new bag arrived and it's perfect! Thank you Tricia!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...