Tuesday, August 3, 2010

K.I.S.S.

Last Tuesday found me experiencing an artistic breakdown...in front of my husband no less. I'd tried something that just did not work. Two mornings' worth of studio time had been a total waste and with that knowledge came a huge load of self doubt and fear which resulted in a loss of not only artistic, but self identity.

Been there? It's a very rough spot to find oneself in. Once recomposed and able to breath, I thought of what my husband had suggested - starting small - which in my mind translated to keeping it simple.  He also suggested Skyping with
Pam, my friend in Kansas, and showing her what I'd done to see if she could help.

An exchange of emails revealed that Pam and I had experienced nearly identical Tuesdays. Something in the artistic cosmos? Whatever it was that had us doubting ourselves that day, had us trying something new on Friday that left us proverbially slapping ourselves up side the head and wondering why we hadn't tried it sooner.

What did we do? We had a Skpe studio session. If you're unfamiliar with Skpe, just click
here.

It was wonderful! Almost...John and Mike if you're reading this please take note of the word
almost...as good as physically being in the studio together. We talked, left camera range to work, came back and revealed what we'd done, made suggestions and ended the session feeling that the world had been righted and full of ideas.

The result of my tumultuous week is
Dreams.
It measures 60" x 20" x 1.5" and the techniques used are storytelling, painting, screen printing, stamping, sewing and hand stitching.








I submitted it yesterday for the Silvermine Guild member show Language in Art and am hoping to hear good news this afternoon. It would be wonderful to have my first completed piece since adopting our daughters in February 2008 accepted into the exhibition. You read that correctly. This is my first piece in over two years.


Last week made me realize that not only do I need to adhere to the K.I.S.S. method of art making, but that playing/creating to my strengths would be wise choice as would having regular Skype studio sessions with Pam.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...