Thursday, February 19, 2015

Searching for Roy G Biv 4 - Orange - update 1

Welcome to February's edition of searching for Roy G Biv and orange. It's such a vibrant, life inducing color.


And one that I begin most days with. My brother and sister-in-law gave me this teapot years ago. It's just big enough to hold 4 teacup-sized cups.

 New York City

With all the snow Mother Nature has been gracing us with, few trips to New York City have been made. I was fascinated by this mural on my last (and only so far this winter) visit way back in early January. The store's name escapes me right now, but the outside is gorgeous, don't you think?

 Sky Zone railing

While waiting for my little urchins (sorry....my now-8-year-old-urchins) to finish bouncing on the trampolines at Sky Zone, a few oranges caught my eye.

 Sky Zone, used time labels

The next 3 photos are of works that are part of Yale University Art Gallery's Modern and Contemporary Art collection. My friends and I strolled through it after experiencing Odd Volumes. Honestly, I could happily sit in front of Rothko for hours.

 Mark Rothko
Untitled (Orange), 1957
and
No. 3, 1967

 Robert Mangold
Untitled, 1973

 Ellsworth Kelly
Charter, 1959

New Haven, CT alley

The mural in this New Haven alley is so skillfully painted that I needed to walk toward it quite a ways before the breaks in pattern could be seen. Originally thought it was hung somehow to extend to the parking garage at the end, but from what I could tell, it's painted. Talk about optical illusions!

 Monster Mini Golf reminder

Monster Mini Golf was the scene of my little urchins' 8th birthday party last Saturday. Think black lights, neon colors, monsters that move, 70's and 80's music blaring, a maze of a mini golf course and 25 little urchins having a blast.

 last hole at Monster Mini Golf

Want to join in the fun? Just leave a note for Julie or me and we'll link to your post. Stay tuned for updates!

---------

Craving more orange? Then stroll on over to see what treasures are being offered by;

Julie at Julie B Booth
Elfi at elf2mani
Mary Ann at Blue Sky Dreaming
Lisa at arzigogolare
Roxanne at Ideas In Cloth

---------

2015
March 19 - yellow
April 16 - green
May 21 - blue
June 18 - indigo
July 16 - violet
August 20 -brown
September 17 -gold
October 15 -grey
November 19 -pink  
December 17 - blogger's choice
 

13 comments:

  1. The world needs more orange I always say! I love it and it makes me smile. As a result, I'm having trouble picking a favourite, but it's between Rothko and Ellsworth Kelly - big sigh of contentment. Have a happy orange day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As usual...an eclectic assortment! I'm also enamored with the Rothkos...they just glow! And the optical illusion painted on the garage is SO cool! That last photo kinda creeps me out though. I remember laser tag parties for Aaron...guess technology has come a ways since he was 8.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe how much orange you were able to find at this time of year! I love the window design and those Rothkos! I also managed to post my own orange this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a fan of orange too - love your selections!
    Have joined again this month: www.lindastokes-textileartist.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. j'aime ce choix.. surtout rothko!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! This is a spectacular assortment of Orange! I've joined in on the fun once again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi
    gray would have been a better color for february around here this
    year...lol...but i managed to find plenty of images in my files...love your
    fabric designs in any colors...and that orange tile really caught my eye...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great choice of orange. I've just posted my oranges. Thanks for hosting. - eric

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderfully inspiring collection of oranges, Jennifer. As is so often the case, visiting your blog is like getting a perfect dose of "culture"... And I just love your shot of the railing and its spectacular geometric-ness : )

    I also enjoyed this month's search - orange is a big favorite of mine!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What vibrant, shiny oranges! The delicious teapot and the bright skyzone railings particularly caught my eye with their clear, unadulterated zing of orange ... and of course I can't (ever) ignore a Rothko!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My jaw dropped and stopped at the Rothko's. Big sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't the Rothko's heavenly? He has a room all to himself at the Phillips Collection in Washington, DC. I could sit in that room for hours...looking at this wall, then that wall, then...

      Delete
  12. Some fascinating work here, the Rothko is particularly interesting!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...