Thursday, March 30, 2017

Friday in New York

Last Friday morning found me boarding the train to venture into New York to spend the day with the amazing Lotta Helleberg. After grabbing a cup of coffee, we began strolling through Chelsea.

Kwang Young Chun at Kim Foster Gallery

Our first stop was Kim Foster Gallery. As you walk through the door, Kwang Young Chun's work of wrapped and bound mulberry paper offers a quiet greeting.

Kwang Young Chun at Kim Foster Gallery, detail

To me, the triangular pieces wrapped in mulberry paper are basic units of information, the basic cells of a life that only exists in art, as well as in individual social events or historical facts. By attaching these pieces one by one to a two-dimensional surface, I wanted to express how basic units of information can both create harmony and conflict. This became an important milestone in my long artistic journey to express the troubles of a modern man who is driven to a devastated life by materialism, endless competition, conflict, and destruction. After almost twenty years, I was now able to communicate with my own gestures and words. Kwang Young Chun artist statement via website

Kwang Young Chun at Kim Foster Gallery, detail

Christian Faur at Kim Foster Gallery

A spot of color around the corner caught my eye and provided a surprise when I stepped 

Christian Faur at Kim Foster Gallery, detail

closer for a good look at Christian Faur's work with crayons.

Christian Faur at Kim Foster Gallery, detail

My earliest memories of making art involve the use of wax crayons. I can still remember the pleasure of opening a new box of crayons: the distinct smell of the wax, the beautifully colored tips, everything still perfect and unused. Using the first crayon from a new box always gave me a slight pain. Through a novel technique that I have developed, I again find myself working with the familiar form of the crayon.

Because of the three-dimensional nature of the crayons, the individual surface images appear to change form as one moves about the gallery space. The images completely disappear when viewed from close up, allowing one to read the horizontally sequenced crayon text and to take in the beautifully colored crayon tips -- all the while being reminded of that first box of crayons. Christian Faur via website

Christian Faur at Kim Foster Gallery

Christian Faur at Kim Foster Gallery, detail

Ambling on down the street, a flash of red in the back of a gallery catch our attention. One look at each other as if to ask "Do you want to go in?" was all it took

John McCracken at David Zwirner

for us to enter David Zwirner gallery in order to get a closer look at John McCracken's simple, yet exquisite sculptures.

My works are minimal and reduced, but also maximal. I try to make them concise, clear statements in three-dimensional form, and also to take them to a breathtaking level of beauty. –John McCracken via David Zwirner website


Minds and imaginations reeling, we made one more gallery stop (which requires a post of its own) before


enjoying a leisurely lunch at Cookshop. It was the first that either of us had eaten there, but certainly won't be the last.


If you follow Lotta on Instagram, you've seen shots of her mark making journal. Well, this is it! Not only was I lucky enough to see it, but to get to meander through its pages as well. It is a work of art in itself.


And so are Lotta's mended jeans. She was working on these when we met in DC back in December so it fun was to see them being worn. Makes me consider mending my over-worn jeans rather than cutting them up to become my journal covers.


Our last stop was the wonderland that is ABC Home. These handmade paper wrapped bundles are just one of the examples of the treasures this store holds.


All too soon, it was time for Lotta and I to go our separate ways. The return train ride provided a bit of time to reflect on the day's art; to consider why it was the more seemingly simple pieces that held me spellbound. There's an idea beginning to form. It needs time to percolate first, but it's there. And that's good.


11 comments:

  1. Those sculptures by McCracken are really strong. thanks for showing them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The crayon images are amazing. In a bit of synchronicity, Crayola is about to retire its Dandelion yellow crayon color when it announces its newest color tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely post to read over breakfast Jennifer, thank you

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a wonderful day trip--you two are something else--a power together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...and the paper wrapping is sublime!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I took notes on your stops to explore next time I'm in the city. I'll be spending a couple of days in Chelsea in June since I was invited to show a work at NOHO Gallery on 24th St. and will be going to the opening. I've always wanted to go to ABC Home so that's definitely on my list as is the Marimekko store. Hope to be able to break away for a day before June - I'm less than 4 hours away and should get in to explore much more often!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for all you have shared in this post. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. JCQ - just brilliant when such art is virtually on your doorstep - love the images; and great mended jeans and journal - wearable art. Go well. B

    ReplyDelete
  9. Without much opportunity to go to NY, I enjoyed your taking us along for the ride:)🌻Laura

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh what beauty you share! I too am always drawn to the more seemingly simple pieces. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...