Friday, May 20, 2016

Connecticut Scissorhands

Last Friday, I journeyed to Canton, CT to see Connecticut Scissorhands, a curated exhibition of the Connecticut chapter of Surface Design Association, which ends this Sunday. If you're in the area, I highly recommend seeing it.

As usual, my trusty camera tagged along so that photos could be taken. Numerous pieces were under glass and so not easily photographed. The following are those that I could get of good shot of. I've linked back to the artist's web site when possible. Enjoy!




Blood Moon

In A Galaxy

In A Galaxy, detail

Solar Flare

Ombrouchure


Ombrouchure, detail

 top row Francine Even
bottom row Anita Balkun

Temple of Prayers
 
 Mad Plaider

Mad Plaider, detail

 Christine Wilkinson
Homage to Anni


 Christine Wilkinson
Homage to Anni, detail
 
Kozo Totem

Kozo Totem, detail

Copper

Copper, detail
 
Common Threads

Common Threads, detail

Taj Mahal
Honorable Mention

Taj Mahal, detail

 Jennifer Coyne Qudeen
Mending the Wayfarer's Path
 
Jennifer Coyne Qudeen
Drawings from the Stargazer's Diary
Award of Excellence

19 comments:

  1. Nice you got to the show before it closes! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. J - amazing variety - I really liked the work of that J C Q person. Go well. B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That J C Q person does okay at times. Glad you like the work. Enjoy!

      Delete
  3. Shhh, don't tell anyone, but your Drawings from the Stargazer's Diary is my favourite of them all. Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful work to enjoy from a great distance! I'm especially fascinated by the technique used by Sooo-z Mastropietro in her two pieces. As a regular visitor to Scotland, 'Mad Plaider' is most amusing ... and then of course there are your two beautiful pieces! How I wish I could see them all ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our chapter of SDA is a very talented gathering and our work is as diverse as we are. Wouldn't it be fun to have the exhibition travel your way? Of course, someone would need to travel with it... Enjoy!

      Delete
    2. OOOh now there's a thought! New Brewery Arts in Cirencester would suit me fine and I can recommend the Cotswolds as a place to visit ...!!

      Delete
  5. Fantastic show and I am now following even more people, thanks for showing this and congratulations. I popped over to Morna Crites Moore's blog and what should I see but your red boat, brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful! It's always fun to be able to introduce new artists to my blogging friends. And, yes, Morna got a great shot of my red boat. I'm going back next week to take photos of the exhibition to post. Stay tuned. The red boat may even show up here. Enjoy!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the beautiful recap

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're most welcome! Many thanks to you and Anita for curating such a beautiful show. Enjoy!

      Delete
  7. Oh, I tried to reach out and touch these through the ether ... to no avail. Such tempting glimpses of beautiful work, some already known (Morna) and others to be explored.

    I particularly liked the pairing of the weavings by Francine Even and Anita Balkun. Nicely hung!

    And I'll look forward to seeing more about the Red Boat. Meantime, thanks much for putting together this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! I know that feeling of fingers yearning to touch the textures of a piece of art. This was an exhibition of the varied textures and colors of fiber art, not to mention a wonderful example of just how diverse the medium can be. Stay tuned for more photos of Francine Even's work. Tomorrow I go to photograph By A Thread (where my red boat currently is) and there's more of her exquisite weavings there...

      Delete
  8. Like others J I think you work is the standout here - congratulations! The works look at home in such a beautiful gallery space...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on your well-deserved award! I really appreciate you taking time to share these exhibitions with us; I would never see them otherwise!

    ReplyDelete
  10. so busy, and what a fine exhibition! haven't been over to visit, and am happy for you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...