Saturday, November 21, 2015

Time

I've been sitting here at the computer for the past 10 minutes or so, trying to decide what to title this post and, well, what exactly to say. There's a part of me that wants to wax poetic about time and how it seems to have slipped right through my fingers even though said fingers have been trying their best to wrangle and contain it. I mean, will someone please tell me how it has come about that this coming Thursday is Thanksgiving?!? Seriously. How is that possible?


I feel a bit like my sewing machine...only my speed is closer to the turtle's pace and position - just near enough to catch a tail wind without actually being swept up in it.


Words and phrases keep floating in the swirl that is my creative mind at the moment - taproot, connectedness, being, serendipity, hope, peace, be present, be here now, who is Jan Baker?


Memories of Santa Fe and stitching summits play along side the words. Visions of work yet to be created beckon me to the studio while life pulls me away


and declares that it is time to do this or that or another thing before I can steal away to the studio.


I know that studio time will come but with the beginning of the holiday season upon us, my brain is screaming  
WHEN??? WHEN??? WHEN???


And that's when a little voice inside my head meekly points out that over the last few days the dining room has been my studio as I measured, pinned, cut, sewed and ironed slipcovers and sashes for our dining room chairs and that the time doing so was time well spent. And that little voice would be correct, but shhh....don't tell her.

14 comments:

  1. Boy...I'm right there with you! I'm just gradually realizing that I have to switch into "holi-dazed mode" and really not quite up to it. And...of course, I'm involved in lots of Open House stuff with hopes for more book sales. It's exhausting before it even begins :).

    Hoping that you get as many stolen moments in the studio as you can...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Holi-dazed" YES!!! That's totally it. Is it a symptom of being over 50? Have I turned into a curmudgeon who just wants to hide (preferably in my studio) until all the festivities are over? Yes, but then it's so much fun to watch the urchins enjoy the season.

      Good luck with the Open House and book sales. Wishing you as many stolen studio moments as you can manage as well. Enjoy!

      Delete
  2. Beautifully written. I too am sitting at the computer, trying to decide what to post. All the while a steady stream of "things that HAVE to to completed" runs through my mind... And yes...although it is hard for me to believe, Thanksgiving is here and the end of 2015. Where did it go??? All best wishes for a lovely Holiday Season to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shelby. I'm hoping it didn't sound like a spoiled rant...just needed to get my frustration out. Seems far too long since there's been a full studio day and too few of those have me turning into a not-so-nice-to-be-around person. You know it's bad when I don't even want to be around me. Ha!

      Wishing you and your loved ones a wonderful holiday season!

      Delete
  3. So much to do, so little time. But better that than the other way around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your time looks like fun. Patterns and pins, textures and rust. I 'll spend time with you anyday.xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come on down Corrine! By the way, will I be seeing you at Long Ridge for Jan Baker's class?

      Happy Thanksgiving!

      Delete
  5. I think there is an echo of that sense all the way across here J. You put it so well, and without ranting or whinging as we would say. It simply reminds us of how much we need that quiet time and how much we desire to spend it creating and taking forth all the beauty and wonder in our heads - and making them real. We all seem to find our selves struggling to even think quietly at the moment! Take care, keep breathing in, and out...there will be days of making. F

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too funny - I just posted a comment on your current post and found your note waiting here. Once again, you've stated your thoughts so eloquently. Thank you for that...and for saying that I didn't sound all whinging-y in my mini rant of frustration. Be well.

      Delete
    2. I also wanted to let you know how much I love that your sewing machine has the hare and the tortoise - priceless!

      Delete
  6. Thank YOU for this honest post Jennifer. Your words rings so true. You might just put blanks in certain places and we could all fill in our own words for where our minds and fingers are wandering just now. Happy Thanksgiving to you! ox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome Marianne. It's a comfort to know that others understand. Your idea of inserting a few blanks for readers to customize has me smiling and even considering doing it. Wonder how those blanks would be filled? Happy Thanksgiving weekend to you and your loved ones!

      Delete
  7. Hi J - strange how we making types hanker so after studio time when really we are fortunate that we see the ordinary things in a sharper way and that they in fact are part of our art filled life. I know I rant about not wanting to do the art paper work, and lists etc - but where would I be creatively if I was not also doing the tedious art related stuff. Still - grab what time you can in the studio. Go well. B

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...